Listing Some of the Most Commonly Asked Questions from Clients



  • Published: 15th May, 2019

Q. Can I work on a Retirement visa?

A. No you cannot work in Thailand on a retirement visa. However, this visa is just for Thailand and we have many clients you utilise the visa but continue to work outside of the country. The visa is only a retirement visa – it will not affect your status outside of Thailand. By that I mean it doesn't mean you have now stopped working and are actually retired.

Q. Can I leave the country on a retirement visa?

A. Yes, as long as you have a re entry permit you can leave and re enter. The retirement visa is renewed year, so you must re enter before the expiry date on the visa.

Q.How many times can I leave?

A. If you have a multi re entry permit you are free to come and go as you like, this can be made at the same time we process the visa at Chiang Mai Immigration.

Q.Is there a minimum amount of time I have to stay in Thailand?

A. No you are free to travel as much as you like but you will need to be in Thailand before the visa expires in order to renew it.

Q.How many days before the visa expires can I renew?

A. At present the maximum time is 45 days, for most clients we start the process about 30 days before to ensure there are no issues, and then take them to Chiang Mai immigration for the renewal.

Q.Can my wife and family follow my retirement visa?

A. Yes, however in order to do this they will need to already have non immigrant O visas obtained from outside of Thailand at a Thai consulate or embassy as well as documents to show the relationships between the family.

Q.Can I follow my Wife's/Husbands visa?

A. Yes, as long as you have a non immigrant 0 visa from outside the country, we will also need documents to prove the relationship.

Q.Can I show money in my bank in my home country to obtain the retirement visa?

A. No the money has to be in a Thai bank. We will be happy to assist you with the opening of your account and make sure everything goes smoothly for you.

Q.If I lose my retirement visa can I apply for a new one?

A. Yes if there is any issue which means you can't renew we can start the process for you again and obtain a new visa, there is no penalty for losing the visa.

Q.What are 90 day reports?

A. Thai Law requires all foreign to check in with immigration for every 90 days they are in the Kingdom. At Assist Thai Visa we can take care of this for you, and make sure you never miss a report and always comply with the rules.

Q.Can I get a visa longer than 1 year?

A. At present the retirement visa is based on a 1 yearly renewal. It is therefore not possible to get longer than this.

If you have any visa problem in your life, we are here to help you!